I personally think shoes can make or break a super cute outfit. They can either be simple or really make a statement, it is all how you wear them! I took an adorable pair of beige “Oxford” style shoes and decided to add a bit of bling to them. It totally changed the appearance of the shoes and it was super easy to do. With a bit of patience and creativity, you too can add some style to your basic shoes!
Here’s what you’ll need-
- Plain shoes (flats, oxfords, flip flops, etc.)
- Studs with a FLAT backing (I found mine on Etsy, $4 for 50 pieces)
- Fabric glue ($1 at craft stores)
- Paper towel
- Small sewing pins (optional)
Lets get started!
1. Since I am using oxfords, I began by crumpling up a paper towel and sticking it inside the shoe to keep the surface even. This way the studs will lay flat while they’re drying.
2. Using the ruler, measure a line down from the center of the shoe. You can lightly mark this with your pencil, just to use as a guide. Line up the first row of studs along this line. Due to the fact that they are square-shaped, once you line up the first line, all the corners will be symmetrical. If needed, you can use the small pins to mark where you want the studs to be glued down.
3. Glue down the first row of studs by placing a small dot of fabric glue on the back of each stud, then placing it in its correct spot. Next, continue to create more rows of studs along the front part of the shoe and glue them down in place. Allow them to dry overnight.
4. Once everything is as you like it, take the fabric glue and run it in between all the studs. I do this to further secure the studs and to make sure nothing falls off. The shoes will have a glossy finish to them after the glue dries. Allow to completely dry for 24 hours.
5. Ta-da! You are all done and ready to rock your fabulous new shoes! Studs can play up a pair of basic shoes so much, don’t be afraid to try this!